Building guides help visitors to enjoy and learn more the Control Tower and play a central role in helping to ensure that visits are an educational and inspiring experience. Building guides also help to protect the health and safety of visitors, and play a part in safeguarding the property and its collection.
This role will suit you if you are
- Full of enthusiasm and hoping to inspire visitors of all ages
- Someone who loves being around people
- Interested in one or more of the four themes around which the Control Tower project is focused:
- nature conservation and wildlife;
- the military and Cold War history of the Common;
- the social history of the Common; and
- the role of protest in society.
You don’t need to be an expert in any of these topics before you start, we will provide background information and briefing materials and will help you to tell the story of the Control Tower and its setting in your own way.
By getting involved you could
- Get to know the Control Tower by heart and learn its secrets
- Welcome and inspire visitors from all over the world
- Be part of a varied and enthusiastic team and make new friends
- Spend time in a unique building, packed with history, in a stunning location on Greenham Common.
- Providing a friendly and informed welcome to all visitors
- Helping visitors to discover more about the control tower and its historical collections and displays by providing guided tours of the building, giving short talks, answering questions and selling guide books and pamphlets
- Helping to ensure security procedures are followed to help prevent theft and damage
- Getting to know health and safety and procedures including evacuation procedures and incident/accident reporting
- Being aware of provisions for visitors with disabilities or reduced mobility
- Attending training and workshop sessions relevant to the building guide role
- Learning and sharing ideas with other volunteers, particularly other building guides
- Developing your knowledge of the history and role of the control tower, the former air base and of Greenham Common as a whole
- There might occasionally be some other activities that are of interest to you with which you might like to assist
Volunteer registration form