- Providing a friendly and informed welcome to all visitors
- Helping visitors to discover more about the control tower and its historical collections and displays by providing guided tours of the building, giving short talks, answering questions and selling guide books
- Helping to ensure security procedures are followed to help prevent theft
- Getting to know health and safety and procedures including evacuation procedures and incident/accident reporting
- Being aware of provisions for visitors with disabilities or reduced mobility
- Attending training and workshop sessions relevant to the building guide role
- Learning and sharing ideas with other volunteers, particularly other tower guides
- Developing your knowledge of the history and role of the control tower, the former air base and of Greenham Common as a whole
- Greeting customers and taking orders
- Preparing simple snacks and food items
- Serving food and drinks
- Helping to keep the cafe and kitchens clean throughout the day
- Learning to operate the till
- Contributing ideas for the development of the cafe
- Working with a team of volunteers and others to develop a programme of exhibition and outreach events.
- Working out the logistics of each event (who needs to do what, when and so on), scheduling and allocating tasks and then making them
- Helping with the setup and content of events.
- Helping with on-the-day delivery of
- Working with other volunteers help to identify fundraising opportunities and events
- Identifying partner organisations with the capability to support the tower
- Writing funding applications.
Would you like to Volunteer?
If any of these roles excite you, or you feel you could help in some other way, please register as a volunteer, at the link below.